Join Our Newsletter

Get the latest updates on movies, anime, esports, music, and pop culture delivered straight to your inbox.

Meghan Markle Out of The Gentlemen Season 3 After Backlash: Report

Meghan Markle Out of The Gentlemen Season 3 After Backlash: Report

A Still of Meghan Markle as Rachel Zane in 'Suits' (Credit:USA Network/NBCUniversal)
By August 23, 2026

‘s reported return to scripted television may have hit a roadblock before it even became official. Just a day after reports emerged that the Duchess of Sussex was in discussions for a role in the third season of Guy Ritchie’s crime drama , veteran journalist Tina Brown claimed the potential casting had been withdrawn.

Brown attributed the decision to what she described as intense backlash in the UK. Her report has quickly fueled speculation about Markle’s acting comeback, but there is an important detail to keep in mind: neither Markle’s casting nor Season 3 of The Gentlemen has been officially confirmed by Netflix.

The situation has also emerged as and Markle are reportedly preparing to spend more time in the UK, a move that has already prompted speculation about whether Meghan’s acting ambitions played a role.

What Tina Brown Said About Meghan Markle’s Reported Casting

Meghan Markle as Rachel Zane in 'Suits'
A Still of Meghan Markle as Rachel Zane in ‘Suits’ (Credit:USA Network/NBCUniversal)

Brown, the former editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, claimed in a post on her Substack that Markle’s reported involvement had already been scrapped.

“I learned this morning that the casting of Meghan Markle in season 3 of Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen has been withdrawn,” Brown wrote. She added that “the backlash in the UK was so intense, it became untenable to go forward.”

Brown also suggested that the development could make a UK-based acting comeback more difficult for Markle, writing that it “does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback in the UK.”

The report followed coverage from Variety, which said Markle was in discussions to join the show’s third season. The Hollywood Reporter subsequently reported that she had been in advanced discussions for the project, with the role reportedly being developed for the upcoming season. Neither outlet reported that Markle had formally signed on.

Related: Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Montecito Exit Has A Shocking Financial Link: Insider

Netflix has also not confirmed that Markle was cast or that her reported role has been withdrawn. Representatives for Markle, Guy Ritchie and Netflix have not publicly provided confirmation of the reported development.

That distinction is particularly important because The Gentlemen Season 3 itself remains unconfirmed. The series is a television spin-off of Ritchie’s 2019 crime comedy film and follows a separate story from the movie, which starred and Charlie Hunnam. The second season is due to arrive on Netflix in September 2026.

Markle’s possible involvement would have marked a notable return to scripted acting. She became widely known for playing Rachel Zane on , appearing in the legal drama for seven seasons before stepping away from acting. Her other credits include CSI: NY, 90210, Horrible Bosses, Anti-Social and two Hallmark movies.

She has recently returned to the screen in a different capacity, filming a cameo as herself in Amazon’s upcoming comedy Close Personal Friends alongside Brie Larson and Jack Quaid.

You May Also Like